This is a little concoction that my sweet wife came up with. And I’m just giving you fair warning… you best invite folks over when you make this otherwise you’ll eat the entire pan like I did.
I love a gooey brownie. Mixed with a salty crunch this is a match made in chocolate heaven! Let ’em cool or serve warm with a heaping spoon of ice cream.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Makes about 15 bars
Salted Caramel (recipe follows)
2 cups crushed pretzels
Boxed brownie (18.3 oz or 13 x 9 recipe size)
- Preheat the oven to 3500F. Grease a 9-x-13-inch baking pan.
- Prepare the Salted Caramel. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the brownies according to the directions on the box. Pour about 3/4 of the brownie batter into the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle the pretzels evenly on top. Pour the Caramel Sauce evenly on top. Spoon the remaining brownies batter in large dollops on the top of the Caramel Sauce. Lightly spread the dollops over the top. Don’t worry, the batter won’t spread over the entire top.
- Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Use your best judgment on the baking time here. The bottom will be gooey because of all the moisture.
- Cool to room temperature, cut and serve. It may be easiest to spoon the brownies out because of the gooey texture.
Tip: Don’t crush the pretzels to a dust, instead keep them in pieces for more of a crunch.
Salted Caramel Sauce
Total Time: 10 minutes
Makes about 1 cup
1 cup sugar
1 stick butter, cut into tablespoons
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt or sea salt
- In a medium saucepan, begin cooking the sugar over medium heat. Stir occasionally as the sugar begins to melt. The sugar will form clumps and then begin melting down and develop an amber color. As the sugar begins melting be sure to stir frequently so the sugar doesn’t burn.
- When the sugar has melted and is smooth, add the butter. It will froth up. Stir constantly until the butter has completely melted.
- Slowly add the cream. It will bubble up as you add it. Continue stirring constantly and allow the mixture to boil for about 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the salt.
- Set aside and allow the mixture to cool to warm and begins to thicken before pouring on the brownies.
Tip: This also makes a great dipping sauce with fruit or an ice cream topping.
PRINT THIS RECIPE: Gooey Salted Caramel Pretzel Brownies